I‘ve accomplished quite a bit since yesterday, despite a violent storms outside and frequent power blips (thank goodness for the UPS!). Although I “knew” it, it’s still surprising how much work there is to do getting the site set up — much more than just making the theme look and work ok. As they say, content is king, and I’ve been busy preparing the beginning content so that people will have a reason to visit TTT.
Here’s what I’ve done so far since yesterday:
- Fixed wp-config so WordPress saves no drafts. A “feature” that bloats the database.
- Removed the line separating content and sidebar. Godhammer calls it a “laugh-line.”
- Brought into DEVONthink all the wandering snippets of code and DIYthemes forums snippets on my hard disk. Got everything set up to write the pages and posts for TTT, as well as organizing future materials.
- Started a color table in custom.css for all the colors I’ve used, plus my color scheme.
- Worked on the footer to get the fonts larger in the copyright and attribution lines. Changed footer widget body plain text font colors to the same as what Thesis uses for links. Found that I can’t change footer widget body font sizes without messing their alignment up. Oh well.
- Restored the Anxiety, Panic & Health widget I lost in The Move.
- Started writing content, such as the landing page, the About page, and all the policy pages. Set them all up in contextual menus.
- Built a yellow box for post announcements based on the color scheme.
- Did some research on what it would take to do video tutorials. I already have the software. I just need a good microphone.
My basic goal for today’s work is to add to TTT’s starting content. I want to have the site up and running as soon as practical, and I need starting content to do that. I can add bells and whistles later.
Here’s my to-do list for today:
- Continue more detailed planning of the menu tree.
- Continue writing content, focusing on material I already have.
- Replicate the tutorial on Contextual Submenus I lost in The Move.
- Finish writing the tutorial on Button Bar Menu/Submenu. Still not satisfied with the name.
And as I have time and opportunity (and need a break):
- Continue thinking and research what it would take to do video tutorials. Find out about post-processing.
- Contact HostGator about some necessary server setting changes for enabling teaser images.
- Find a way to display tags on the blog front page and on pages.
- Bring into DEVONthink Thesis-related bookmarks from Safari.
- Set up Google Custom Search for Thesis Theme Tools.
- Decide where I want the search bar. I was thinking in the header, but it’s already pretty crowded. May just put it in the sidebar for right now. I do want to have a cute little spyglass, though.
That’s all folks! See you tomorrow!
©2009 Thesis Theme Tools. All rights reserved.