Been really busy here in the Nichols Nuthouse, writing articles and code, and cleaning up various little odds and ends. My main thrust is to flesh out my beginning content so that there will be something here when I start advertising the site. So it’s hot-and-heavy on the keyboard for me!
Here’s what I’ve done so far since yesterday. Much of it wasn’t on my to-do list:
- Wrote the Tutorial for Contextual Submenus.
- Wrote the Tutorial on the Image Button Bar Menu/Submenu. I finally settled on a name for it, but I prefer to call it the Button Bar.
- Set up the contact form with cformsII and changed field color.
- Wrote the pages for the remaining dummy menu buttons: Tricks, Tips, Newbies, Resources, and Info.
- Coded four different post announcement boxes for different purposes.
- Updated the Sociable plugin’s opacity. I like it to be 70% rather than the stock 40%.
- Researched other Related Posts plugins. Trouble is, most of them won’t work with pages, which is what this site will have the most of. Right now I’m sticking with Simple Tags just because it does pages, too.
- Worked out an in-page call-to-action. These will actually be part of the page text, since I’ve yet to find a way to append them on selected pages only.
- Worked on articles about how to set up Google Custom Search, Google Analytics, and Google Webmaster Tools while setting all three up for Thesis Theme Tools. Took screen shots, too.
- Put Google Search into the sidebar, since I don’t know where else to put it right now. Also set up a search results page.
- Found a way to display tags on the blog front page and on pages. Just check the box to display them on Archives in Thesis Options. Easy but unintuitive.
My to-do list hasn’t changed much since yesterday, since it has open-ended projects that will take a while to accomplish. Here ’tis:
- Finish the articles on setting up Google Custom Search, Google Analytics, and Google Webmaster Tools. Includes preparing screenshots in PhotoShop.
- Continue writing content, focusing on material I already have.
- Continue more detailed planning of the menu tree.
And as I have time and opportunity (and need a break):
- Continue thinking and research what it would take to do video tutorials. Find out about post-processing and pro-con of storing on server or with a service like Vimeo.
- Contact HostGator about some necessary server setting changes for enabling teaser images.
- Bring into DEVONthink Thesis-related bookmarks from Safari.
That’s all, folks!